Below are 12 popular methods you can use to drive traffic to your social networking site.
There are several aspects that make social networking sites much better than normal Web sites, for example, members themselves create great content for you. You can speed up the process of indexing your site by submitting forum and blog sections of your site to blog directories & normal directories, social bookmarking sites, use pings and off line methods. All these little things can help drive more traffic to blogs. Listed below are 12 popular methods you can use:
1. Submit your RSS feed to major news sites like My Yahoo! And Google Reader. When you distribute your own RSS to My Yahoo! it is usually listed in Yahoo. If you distribute your blog RSS to Google’s Reader the Google Blog Search will index your site.
2. Add a relevant link directory towards your site and make system of exchange links with sites that complement your site. Although it may take more time than simply submitting to an internet search engine one time, this method is probably the easiest method to drive traffic towards your site.
3. Use ping sites like pingler.com. Ping your site each time you have a new post.
4. Announce a Contest to create a viral marketing campaign. For example you can announce a contest on your site to create a viral video about your online community. It works great, so your members will create a viral content for you and you have to put all videos on your Youtube account and create links back to your site.
5. Distribute your site to traditional directories like DMOZ. Directories (specifically DMOZ) boost relevance with Google. DMOZ is very picky, so don’t be impatient and resubmit it or you’ll go to the end of the queue.
6. Distribute to as much RSS Directories and Search engines as you can.
7. Put comment in other blogs relevant to your niche. Don’t simply leave brief feedback like “I like it” Leave concise replies that will force viewers to think about “who authored this?”
8. Go off-line. Use newspaper ads, public bulletin boards, business cards, even stickers to let as many people as possible know your site exists.
9. Add a link to your blog within your e-mail signature block.
10. Use Usenet. Find a relevant group on Google groups, Yahoo groups, MSN groups or from any of the thousands of other FREE group services and find like minded people and talk to them. Make certain your use your site URL like it’s your name.
11. Use Forums. Forums are among the best places to go for advice. Go to forums and find problems to solve. Be sure you leave your site name, but be tactful regarding this; some forums get annoyed with people who selfishly drop a few links to their own site and then leave.
12. Bookmark or tag your site. Sites like http://Del.icio.us, Technorati and many others have a social feature that allows you to place your article under keywords or “tags” that anyone interested in that tag can see.
Even though these are the most popular ways to drive traffic towards your blog, do not limit yourself to tips only. Use your creativity and you’ll think of countless methods to drive traffic towards your social site.
We also recommend you to check out these great complimentary resources:
For your online networking success and until next time.